Assessment Appeals Board (AAB)

The Assessment Appeals Board conducts hearings on property assessment disputes. Acting on the basis of relevant evidence submitted at the hearing, it is their role to make a fair, impartial decision on all property assessment disputes appealed between taxpayers and the Assessor.  The Assessment Appeals Board is separate and independent from the Assessor's Office.

The Assessment Appeals Board is a quasi-judicial body composed of five members (three serve at each hearing) appointed by the Board of Supervisors. The Board members have professional experience in the fields of real estate, property appraisal, accounting, law, or similar areas.  Property owners in the County of Calaveras may file an Assessment Appeal Application with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors.

The Assessment Appeals Board handles differences over valuation of property that cannot be resolved by discussion with the Assessor's Office. They consider all evidence presented by the property owner and the Assessor's Office at a formal hearing. The Appeals Board then establishes the value of the property in question.

  • Appeals on regular assessments must be filed between July and November for secured and unsecured property.
  • Appeals on supplemental assessments must be filed no later than 60 days after the date of mailing printed on the tax bill or the postmark, whichever is later.

The property taxes you pay are primarily based on your property's assessed value as determined by the County Assessor. If you disagree with the value established by the Assessor, you can appeal that value to the Assessment Appeals Board.


To avoid penalties, you should pay your taxes when they are due and if the Board rules in your favor, you will receive a refund.


Please note:  Prior to filing your appeal, you are urged to discuss the basis of your assessment with the Assessor's staff. If you do not agree as to the taxable value, you may file an Assessment Appeal Application. After filing within the deadline, you may still attempt to reach an agreement with the Assessor anytime up to the date set for the hearing.


Email Icon and Link Email the Assessment Appeals Board Clerk


Assessment Appeals FAQ's

What is an Assessment Appeal Application?

  • An Assessment Appeal Application is a form you use to challenge the assessed value placed on your property by the Assessor.
  • You must file a separate application for each parcel.

How do I get the Application?

The Application is available by clicking here or can be obtained from the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors/Assessment Appeals Board Clerk at:

891 Mountain Ranch Road
San Andreas, CA95249


by calling the office at (209) 754-6370.

When should I file an Assessment Appeal Application?

  • Applications for Regular Assessments must be filed with the Clerk between July and November each year (the specific date is determined early in the calendar year).
  • Applications for Supplemental Assessments must be filed no later than 60 days after the postmark or mailing date printed on the tax bill, whichever is later.

If I am appealing my assessment, do I have to pay my property tax?

Yes. You are still responsible for paying your taxes while you are awaiting the outcome of your appeal. The assessment of your property remains the same until the Board changes it. If a different value is directed by the Board, you will receive a refund from the Auditor’s office.

Once I have filed my Assessment Appeal Application, what are the next steps?

  • Forty-five (45) days prior to the scheduled hearing date, the Clerk will send you a Hearing Notice which will include the Application Number assigned to your appeal. You then must return the enclosed Confirmation Notice to the Clerk no later than 21 days prior to your hearing, stating whether you will be present, or wish to postpone or withdraw your appeal. Appeals can be scheduled anywhere from six to eighteen months from the date the application is received. You will most likely not hear from the Clerk until that time.
  • You are encouraged to work with the Assessor’s Office to resolve the dispute at any time prior to the scheduled hearing.
  • If you are unable to resolve the issues, you and a representative of the Assessor’s Office will be given an opportunity to present factual information/evidence at the hearing to substantiate your opinions of value.

Do I need to present at the hearing?

Yes, attendance is mandatory. You or your authorized representative must be present or your appeal may be denied due to lack of appearance.

What kind of evidence should I bring to the hearing?

The best evidence for a residential appeal is three comparable property sales (or comps). You will need to bring eight (8) copies and present them to the Clerk when your application is called on the agenda. California law states that the Assessment Appeals Board cannot consider a sale as a comparable if it occurred more than 90 days after the valuation. For example, for the tax year 2017, the date of valuation (lien date) is January 1, 2017. Evidence of comparable sales after March 31st will not qualify as evidence to support your appeal. Presenting evidence of comparable sales outside of the valuation period is considered “the 90-day rule”.This common mistake is the often cause of unsuccessful appeals.

What happens if I am unable to attend the scheduled hearing?

Everyone is allowed one postponement as a matter of right if the postponement is requested at least 21 days prior to the hearing. (Further restrictions apply if the application is within 120 days of the expiration of the two-year limitation period.) A request for postponement must be received by the Clerk, in writing. You may write a letter or use the applicable form available on the website or by calling the Clerk at (209) 754-6370.

Once my appeal has been heard, how will I know the Board’s decision?

  • The Board may announce their decision at the hearing or take the matter under submission. Either way, the Clerk will notify you of the decision in writing. The Assessment Appeal Board’s decision is final and may only be appealed to the Superior Court.
  • If you receive a reduction on your assessment, the adjustment will be made by the Auditor-Controller and a refund check will be issued in four to six weeks.

What is the best way to contact the Clerk of the Board or obtain forms and information?

  • The County webpage is the best place to obtain forms and information.
  • Mailing address: Clerk of the Assessment Appeals Board
                             891 Mountain Ranch Road
                             San Andreas, CA95249